1) Stay motivated, keep your goals in mind.
2) Find an exercise you enjoy and stick with it. Exercise doesn't have to be hard, boring, or painful- find something you like and do that! There are many, many fun exercises available now, such as aerobics, yoga, Pranayam. Be creative- use them under your doctor’s supervision.
3) During the 2nd & 3rd trimester (in general), stay off your feet as much as possible. Avoid repetitive motion activities such as "running" (aside from walking... duh). This will help eliminate swelling and get you closer to having those cute little baby guts back where they belong :)
4) Prioritize YOUR well-being. Your body's health and ability to heal it is the most important thing while pregnant. Listen to your body, if something doesn't feel right, don't do it.
5) Keep an eye on your "baseline" fitness level. As a gynecologist in Indore, we feel that regardless of whether you are pregnant or not, every woman should have a good understanding of how fit they really are. Knowing these things will help you maintain a baseline so that even when life gets crazy (and crazy it will), you can get back on track easily once things go back to normal!
6) Don't overdo it! If something is getting tricky, back off and try again later. This advice applies to even the simplest of things like trying to tie your shoes while you're pregnant.
7) Always remember that YOU’RE most important job while pregnant is to deliver a healthy baby with as little stress as possible. The purpose of your exercise routine is that both you and the baby can be as healthy, strong, happy & safe during this special time in your life!
8) While pregnant (and even after), pay close attention to how you feel before, during & after your workouts. "For every action there's an equal and opposite reaction", right? If something feels strange- stop doing it! Something may not feel good at first because your body is adjusting to a new position or something new, but if it doesn't go away after a reasonable amount of time- then find another route for that activity until after the big day arrives!
9) BE COMMITTED. You've made it this far! Don't "let yourself go" or let your exercise routine drop the ball by not giving it proper attention and care. This is YOUR time to shine, take advantage of that precious opportunity and do something good for yourself!
10) HAVE FUN! Exercising while pregnant doesn't have to be all work & no play... makes a game out of it! Try talking on the phone or listening to your favorite tunes during your workout- sees if you can beat your high score from yesterday? Challenge someone else to a race? The key here is using as many senses as possible to make things more interesting (this will also help you pass the time!) Whatever works best for you- DO IT